The National Association of State Foresters(NASF) handed out nine awards at its 2013 Annual Meeting in Hot Springs, VA in September. Each year NASF members nominate individuals for awards representing different categories that reflect the work they have done to promote, support and strengthen the forestry community nationwide. This year's winners include:
- Jim Hull Lifetime Achievement Award – Jeff Jahnke, Former State Forester, Colorado State Forest Service and Alaska Division of Forestry
- Jim Hull Lifetime Achievement Award – Michael Buck, Former State Forester, Hawaii Division of Forestry and Wildlife
- Earl Peterson Current Achievement Award for Fire Protection – Pete Anderson, State Forester, Nevada Division of Forestry
- Stewart Pequignot Current Achievement Award for Urban Forestry – Raymond Tretheway, Executive Director, Sacramento Tree Foundation
- Marvin Brown Current Achievement for Partnerships – Ad Council
Jim Sledge Current Achievement for Forest Resource Management – Driftless Forest Network
- Jerry Greenberg, American Forest Foundation
- Buddy Huffaker, Aldo Leopold Foundation
- Carol Nielsen, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Service Awards Certificate of Appreciation (awarded to State Foresters that left service during the past year)
- Wib Owen, North Carolina
- Paul Conry, Hawaii
NASF also recognized outgoing President Randy Dye (West Virginia) for his commitment to the Association over the last years.
We congratulate this year's winners and thank them for their commitment to the forestry community!