CO Forest Service
File Reference: 2023-18
Position Title: Lead Project Forester
Location: Salida, Golden, Franktown, Colorado
Salary: $60,000 – $65,000, commensurate with experience
Employment Status: This full-time, regular appointment will be a Colorado State University Administrative Professional employee.
Closing Date: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, applicants should submit all application materials by 11:59pm on December 4, 2023 for full consideration.
Job Summary: Under the supervision of the Supervisory Forester, the Lead Project Forester will lead and manage complex projects/programs, falling within one or more of the following program areas:
• Community Wildfire Protection Plans and wildfire hazard mitigation
• Forest agriculture
• Forest stewardship planning
• Good Neighbor Agreements
• Outreach and engagement programs
• Collaboratives and Partnerships
The Lead Project Forester may perform some, or all, of the following: project budget management, program oversight, personnel direction, grant and agreement development and implementation. The Lead Project Forester coordinates program delivery with program staff and will serve as the primary contact point for local officials and key CSFS partners within their assigned project/program area(s), under the supervision and mentoring of the Supervisory Forester.
The Lead Project Forester will lead Area work teams associated with complex programs, train and mentor Field Office or Area foresters, develop and manage program and project budgets, provide input to Area strategic work plans, cultivate emerging issues and opportunities, serve as the acting Supervisory Forester as needed, and support all Area operations. The Lead Project Forester must have a thorough knowledge of overall Field Office and Area operations, local collaboratives and partnerships, silviculture, best management practices, insect and disease identification and management, wildfire mitigation and community protection, timber harvest operations, contract development and administration, and will be a local Subject Matter Expert on their assigned complex projects/programs.
Required Job Qualifications:
• A bachelor’s degree (or greater) in forestry, another natural resources program or other related field will be considered
• Three years of professional forestry experience, with specific experience in Dendrology, Forest Ecology, Forest Management, Forest Measurements, Silviculture, Urban and Community Forestry, Vegetation Dynamics, or Wildfire Management/Fuels Mitigation
• Must have a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain a driver’s license or access to a licensed driver by the employment start date
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States before the employment start date; Colorado State Forest Service will not sponsor a visa for this position.
To apply and for a complete position announcement, please review the following website: https://csfs.colostate.edu/employment/ . CSU is an EO/EA/AA employer and conducts background checks on all final candidates.
To apply for this job please visit csfs.colostate.edu.