The director of finance and administration at the National Association of State Foresters (NASF) is responsible for managing the business affairs of the association, the foundation, and two regional forestry organizations. The director of finance and administration reports to the executive director and supervises the fiscal specialist and administrative assistant. Responsibilities include management of all aspects of the accounting, finance, audit, and human resource functions. This includes federal grants management and reporting. This position also plays a large role in supporting the NASF fall annual meeting and the educational materials e-commerce program.
NASF provides a competitive salary commensurate with experience and excellent retirement and health benefits. Other benefits include professional development support, opportunity for a weekly telework day, and a monthly cell phone stipend.
Finance and Grants
- Ensure sound financial management of all aspects of NASF, the NASF Foundation, and two supporting regional organizations;
- Administer federal grants, assure compliance with all grant requirements, and serve as liaison with funding agency;
- Prepare financial reports consistent with generally accepted accounting principles;
- Supervise fiscal specialist to ensure accurate processing of accounts receivable, accounts payable, dues, and payroll;
- Create grant proposals and modifications to support the mission of the organization;
- Submit grants semi-annual and annual financial and progress report;
- Monitor and request grant reimbursements;
- Oversee and coordinate preparation for annual financial audit and tax returns;
- Prepare annual budget preparation.
- Work with director of communication and administration assistant to ensure the success of the educational materials e-commerce program that optimizes production, manage inventory, and grow sales of educational materials products;
- Supervise administrative assistant;
- Administer the human resources function and manage employee benefits package including health insurance and 401(k);
- Arrange off-site meetings and negotiate hotel and catering contracts for association meetings;
- Serve as liaison to funding agency, insurance brokers, investment advisors, and other professionals;
- Review, prepare, and administer contracts and similar agreements with partners, vendors, and contractors ;
- Provide excellent customer service to State Foresters and colleagues;
- Other duties as needed to support a team and small staff.
Qualifications: At least five (5) years of experience in managing accounting, finance, and business administration functions, preferably in a small staff association environment. Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance is required and supervisory experience is preferred. Ability to produce accurate financial reports, manage budgets and federal grants, and supervise employees effectively. Demonstrated ability to meet multiple deadlines, prioritize projects, and contribute as a team member in a small organization.
To Apply: Please send your resume, cover letter including salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please. Please use the subject line “Director of Finance Position”.
DEADLINE: Applications must be submitted by May 31, 2018. Review of applications will begin after this deadline. The position is scheduled to begin in late June or early July, 2018.
Established in 1920, the National Association of State Foresters is a non-profit organization composed of the directors of forestry agencies in the states, territories and the District of Columbia of the United States. State Foresters manage and protect state and private forests, which encompass two-thirds of the nation’s forests. NASF is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, or any other non-merit factor.